Friday, 30 May 2014 | 1 Sivan, 5774
Caulfield Hebrew Congregation Incorporated
The Caulfield Hebrew Congregation Incorporated is a non-profit organisation that provides for and promotes the maintenance and observance of Orthodox Jewish religious worship, the laws, customs, traditions of Orthodox Judaism, supports educational and cultural needs of persons of the Jewish faith generally, upholds and fosters the aims of Zionism and supports and furthers the aspirations of Israel and world Jewry.
1 The Information We Collect and Hold
The Congregation will only collect personal information that is reasonably necessary for the Congregation's functions or activities during the course of dealing with you when you wish to obtain services from the Congregation, participate in activities or register for events or complete forms. The Congregation will collect, by lawful and fair means, and retain general information about you, such as:
- name and contact details (home, postal, email address and telephone numbers);
- date of birth,
- date of bar/bat mitzvah;
- marital status;
- date of marriage;
- place of marriage;
- name of officiating rabbi;
- marriage certificate;
- name of spouse;
- name(s) of children;
- names of parents;
- date(s) of parent(s) passing;
- credit card and bank account details.
The information collected may include sensitive information (as defined in the Privacy Act), such as religious beliefs or affiliation if the information also relates solely to members, seatholders or congregants or other people who have regular contact with the Congregation in connection with its activities.
Where practicable, the purpose for which we collect personal information will be made clear at the time of collection. If you do not provide us with personal information, or wish to be dealt with anonymously or by use of a pseudonym, we may be unable to provide you with access to some of our services or the assistance you have requested.
2 How We Use Your Information
Generally, we will only use and disclose your personal information as follows:
- to verify your identity and Jewish faith and establish your involvement with the Congregation;
- to maintain a Register of Members which details of some your personal information (your name, address, class of membership, the date on which you became a member and, if applicable, the date of cessation of your membership);
- to communicate with you on a regular basis, including providing notice of meetings, activities, life cycle events;
- to provide the services you have requested from the Congregation;
- to collect payments and donations;
- to register you for activities or events;
- to assist us to make the Congregation more valuable to our community by understanding the demographics of people who interact with the Congregation so that we can develop and target programs;
- for direct promotion of our services and to keep you informed of new developments we believe may be of interest to you. If we contact you in this way, we will provide you with the opportunity to decline any further promotional communications;
- to third parties who assist us to operate the Congregation, and to provide the services you have requested, such as the Jewish Community Council of Victoria,. In some circumstances we may need to disclose sensitive information about you to third parties as part of the services you have requested.
3 Accessingand Updating Your Information
You can request access to the personal information that the Congregation holds about you by contacting the Congregation's Privacy Officer as set out below. We will provide you with access to your personal information within a reasonable period after the request is received, unless we are legally authorised to refuse your request. Where the Congregation does withhold personal information, we may instead choose to give you a summary of that information. We may charge a reasonable amount for providing access.
If you wish to change personal information that is out of date, inaccurate, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading at any time please contact our Privacy Officer. After notice from you, we will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to correct that information, including notifying any third party to whom the information has previously been disclosed. We will not charge you for correcting your personal information. If you wish to have your personal information deleted please let us know and we will delete that information wherever practicable.
Where we refuse your request to access, amend or delete your personal information, we will provide you with a reasons in writing for our decision and, in the case of an amendment request, we will include a note with your personal information that you have disputed its accuracy. Our notification of the refusal will include details of the mechanisms available to you to complain.
4 What we do with your information
The Congregation will take reasonable steps to keep secure any personal information which we hold and to keep this information accurate and up to date. Personal information is stored in a secure server or secure files.
The Internet is not a secure method of transmitting information. Accordingly, the Congregation cannot accept responsibility for the security of information you send to or receive from us over the Internet or for any unauthorised access or use of that information.
5 Quality and security of personal information
The Congregation will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that the personal information we collect is accurate, up to date and complete, and also relevant to our use of it.
Personal Information is stored in both hard copy and on computer. Such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances will be taken to ensure that hard copies of personal information and personal information stored on computers are secure from misuse, interference and loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
We regularly delete, destroy or de-identify personal information if the information is no longer needed by us and we are not required by law to retain it.
The Congregation does not use any prohibited identifiers (for example tax file or health care card numbers).
7 Anonymity and Pseudonyms
You may opt to not identify yourself or use a pseudonym when dealing with the Congregation. However, where you have not identified yourself or have used a pseudonym it may be impractical for us to deal with you.
8 Cross-border data flows
9 Modifications to this document
10 Contacting Us
The Privacy Officer
General Manager, Caulfield Hebrew Congregation Incorporated
PO Box 1137, Caulfield North, 3161, Melbourne, Australia